Table 4-2. Organizational Troubleshooting
Test or Inspection
Position LOAD ON/OFF switch (models MEP-014A and MEP-024A), or LOAD ON-OFF.
FLASH switch (model MEP-019A) in OFF position.
Close fuel shutoff valve by rotating clockwise to shutoff fuel.
Place ignition switch in OFF position.
Disconnect power source.
Tag and disconnect leads from voltmeter. (Figures 4-21,4-22 or 4-23).
Remove nuts, washers and screws securing the voltmeter on the control panel and remove
defective voltmeter and discard. (Figs 4-21, 4-22 and 4-23).
Install a new voltmeter on control panel and secure with screws, washers and nuts.
Reconnect leads to voltmeter.
Reconnect power source.
(10) Place LOAD ON-OFF-FLASH switch (model MEP-019A), and LOAD ON/OFF switch (models
MEP-014A and MEP-024A), in OFF position.
(11) Rotate rheostat counterclockwise as far as it will go.
(12) Open fuel shutoff valve, Close the choke (move choke control lever away from flywheel) for
starting cold engine. Open choke (move toward flywheel) gradually as engine starts and
warms until choke is fully open.
(13) Place ignition switch in ON position.
(14) Wind starter rope around starter flange in clockwise direction. Pull rope briskly to start
(15) On model MEP-019A only, place LOAD ON-OFF-FLASH switch in FLASH position. When en-
gine has attained rated speed, observe panel meter for a voltage indication. Release switch
when voltage reaches a minimum of 100 volts.
(16) If generator output voltage on model MEP-019A fails to develop after set has attained rated
speed, and the LOAD ON-OFF-FLASH switch has been placed in FLASH position, field flash-
ing from an external source will be required. The field is flashed by momentarily connecting
a 12-volt DC source (with resistor of 20 ohms, 5 watts connected in series) to terminals 8 and
7 of TB 2 (fig. 1-8). Terminal 8 is positive with respect to terminal 7. The series resistor may
be omitted if voltage polarity is strictly observed.
Reversing field flashing polarity from that indicated above will result in the
destruction of the voltage regulator, rendering the set inoperative.
5. VOLTAGE DROPS UNDER LOAD
Check engine to insure it is delivering power.
Refer to TM 5-2805-256-14/TO 38G-102-2.
Check external load source and verify load is within requirements of generator set.