Table 4-2. Organizational Troubleshooting
Test or Inspection
Clean generator with a clean cloth dampened in cleaning solvent Fed. Spec. P-D-680, and dry
4. GENERATOR VOLTAGE TOO HIGH
Check for defective rheostat by rotating rheostat knob from right to left and from left to right and observe volt-
rneter needle for
Connect additional voltmeter to load terminals of generator set and take comparative readings to
establish validity of generator set voltmeter. Refer to figure 4-21 for DOD model MEP-O14A. figure 4-
22 for MEP-019A and to figure 4-23 for model MEP-024A and the following instructions to replace a
Posisition LOAD ON/OFF switch (models MEP-014A and MEP-024A). or LOAD ON-OFF
FLASH switch (model MEP-O19A) in OFF position.
Close fuel shutoff ValVe by rotating clockwise to shutoff fuel.
Place ignition switch in OFF position.
Disconnect power source.
Tag and disconnect Ieads from rheostat. (Figures 4-21,4-22 or 4-23).
Loosen setscrew securing rheostat knob on shaft and remove rheostat knob. (Fig's 4-21, 4-22
Remove nut securing rheostat to control panel and remove defective rheostat and discard.
Install a new rheostat on control panel and secure with nut.
Place rheostat knob over
end of shaft and secure by tightening setscrew.
(10) Reconnect leads to rheostat.
(11) Reconnect power source.
(12) Place LOAD ON-OFF-FLASH switch (model MEP-019A). and LOAD ON/OFF switch (models
MEP-014A And MEP-024A), in OFF position.
(13) Rotate rheostat counter-clorkwise as far as it will go.
(14) open fuel shutoff valve. Close the choke (move choke control lever away from flywheel) for
starting cold engine. open choke (move toward flywheel) gradually as engine starts and
warms until choke is fully open.
(15) Place ignition switch in ON position.
(16) Wind starter rope around starter flange in clockwise direction. Pull rope briskly to start
(17) on model MEP-O19A only, place LOAD ON-OFF-FLASH switch in FLASH position. When en-
gine has attained rated speed, observe panel meter for a voltage indictation. Release switch
when voltage reaches a minimum valve of 100 volts.
(18) If generator output voltage on model MEP-019A fails to develop after set has attained rated
speed, and the LOAD ON-OFF-FLASH switch has been placed in FLASH position, field flash-
ing from an external source will be required. The field is flashed by momentarily connecting
a 12-volt DC SOUrce (with resistor of 20 ohms, 5 watts connected in series) to terminal 8 and 7
of TB 2 (fig. 1-8). Terminal 8 is positive with respect to terminal 7. The series resistor may
be omitted if voltage polarity is strictIy observed.